The Organization for a Free Society (OFS) fights for the self-emancipation of humanity from all forms of oppression. We are dedicated to the overthrow and abolition of the global imperialist system, and the construction of participatory socialism on a global scale. To achieve these objectives, we work to build a united front of grassroots social movements, alternative institutions, and popular defense forces to lead a global social revolution from below, uniting and winning the general support of the multitude of oppressed people. Our organization has been established as a catalyst, guide, and defender of this project.
The members and supporters of OFS have been active in a variety of grassroots struggles on multiple fronts for almost 10 years. This is not a full or comprehensive list, but simply shows the type of work some of our members prioritize.
Anti-War, Anti-Militarism, and Peace:
– Opposition to the occupation of Palestine by Israeli settler-colonialism, including organizing demonstrations against the Israeli bombing of Lebanon and Gaza. OFS cadre have directly participated in nonviolent civil resistance in Palestine and Israel.
– Opposition to U.S. imperialism’s wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Syria, including coordinating campus and community mobilizations and direct actions against military recruiters and war profiteers, and working with Veterans for Peace (VFP), Iraq Veterans Against the War (IVAW), and the War Resisters League (WRL).
– Opposition to U.S. imperialism’s counter-revolutionary interference in Latin America, especially Mexico, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Venezuela, Bolivia, and Cuba. This has included work with Hands Off Venezuela and the Venceremos Brigade, with OFS members traveling to Cuba on the 50th anniversary of the Cuban Revolution.
– Opposition to fascism within the USA, especially opposing police, prisons and border militarization, and anti-immigrant racism and government mass surveillance.
– OFS members have organized movements supporting the families of the 43 disappeared student activists from Ayotzinapa Rural Teachers’ College in Mexico.
Class Struggle, Anti-Capitalism, and Workers’ Power:
– OFS members held staff and rank-and-file positions within a variety of labor unions and workers’ centers, including the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW), Restaurant Opportunity Center of New York (ROC-NY), Retail Action Project (RAP), Domestic Workers United (DWU), and Brandworkers.
– OFS cadre participated in most of committees created by the Occupy Wall Street general assembly, and participated in Occupy’s precursor, New Yorkers Against Budget Cuts and Bloombergville. During the course of Occupy, OFS members and supporters advocated for the occupation to extend itself by forming popular democratic assemblies in neighborhoods and workplaces, and occupying homes in danger of foreclosure and eviction.
– OFS cadre have worked at Green Worker Cooperatives.
Anti-Racism and National Liberation:
– OFS members participated in demonstrations and direct actions following the police murders of Travon Martin, Sean Bell, Akai Gurley, Mike Brown, Eric Garner, and too many other young people of color. OFS members participated in demonstrations and direct actions emerging from Black Lives Matter.
– OFS members co-founded the NYC chapter of Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ).
– OFS members co-founded the Albany chapter of Showing Up For Racial Justice (SURJ).
– OFS members have worked at The Fortune Society with formally incarcerated people.
Education and Student Power:
– OFS cadre co-founded groups such as Students for a Democratic Society (SDS), Radical Student Union (RSU), and New York Students Rising (NYSR).
– OFS cadre participated in alternative education projects, such as Without Walls and the Brooklyn Free School.
– OFS cadre are part of Wildfire collective trainers for social justice.
– OFS members worked with Powershift, 350.org, and the Student Environmental Action Coalition (SEAC), advocating participatory socialist solutions to the environmental crisis.
– OFS members have worked at Gay Mens Health Crisis.
– OFS members work at the Ali Forne Center.
-OFS members have worked at the Sex Workers Project.
– OFS members co-sponsored demonstrations in support of the Rojava Revolution, the Kurdish people’s struggle against the fascist Islamic State, and against Turkey’s war against the Kurdish Freedom Movement.
– OFS members were invited by the Kurdish Freedom Movement to speak in Hamburg, Germany on the economics of participatory socialism.
– Represented OFS and taught courses at the 1st and 2nd Course for international trainers with the MST and social movement groups from 40 countries in Brazil.